What is Sense TPS?
The TPS (Telephone Preference Service) is a central opt-out register where individuals can register their wish not to receive unsolicited sales and marketing telephone calls, see more info on their website.
If you have a valid account at TPS, Sense enables you to synchronize your database, and prevent making calls to people that are TPS registered.
This synchronization can be done in 2 ways:
- Manually – uploading the TPS database to Sense
- Automatically – this is a daily update utilising the TPS server IP address and credentials.
The TPS Management is accessible through Sense=>Tools=>TPS Management. The main grid shows the numbers that are in the TPS database or if selected the “Allowed” tab, it will show the exceptions to the TPS database.
What are the benefits of Sense TPS?
Last year, a poll by the consumer group Which? found that householders registered with the Telephone Preference Service, were still receiving nuisance calls. The survey found that, despite receiving fewer calls after registering, they received an average of 10 unsolicited calls in the previous month, compared with the average 5 for non-tps users.
The survey also found that 57% were not satisfied with the service.
As a result of this poll, the government announced a crackdown on companies flouting the law, by increasing the penalties that can be imposed on offenders to £500,000.
Companies who wish to stay on the right side of the law, can be absolutely certain that they will not risk committing an offence through using the Sense telephone preference service module.
What is included in Sense TPS?
As part of Sense TPS, the following features are included:
- Sense Announcer Feature
- Sense TPS Feature
- Sense Recording
These features are compatible with ISDN2 & ISDN30 lines only, and require a TPS database.
How does Sense TPS work?
- Calls are blocked for all TPS numbers that are included/updated in the Sense TPS database
- All calls that try to contact TPS registered numbers are marked with red in the main Sense Grid followed by a comment: “TPS blacklist: Call blocked”
- An audio message will be played to the agent informing them that the current call is TPS registered and will not be connected
- In cases where you have active clients that are TPS registered, these need to be added separately to the allow list to enable you to contact your client.
What are the features of Sense TPS?
- Can connect automatically every evening to the TPS website to update the TPS database with new entries
- Can connect automatically every week to download the latest TPS database
- Administrators can manually move numbers from the blocked numbers to the allowed numbers list (in the event that the TPS number is an active customer)
- Administrators can opt to have a default engaged tone to a pre-recorded message to played to users when a TPS registered number is dialled